Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Afternoon Delight!

Reading up a little on the Andy Warhol exhibtion in the park with my sidekick Flat Audrey :)
Something makes me feel like we're not in Paris anymore!
Corey, myself, and Jayna with our usual mid-morning Coca-Cola! Only here it is a lot sweeter because it is made with real sugar!
  • We had a picnic in the park this afternoon! After our 3 hours of class this morning I mailed my postcards (finally!) and got a crepe with egg..Mmmm! Then the group met at Bois de Boulogane, a huge park on the west of Paris. It almost didn't feel like we were in the city anymore! We had a picnic of baguettes, ham, many kinds of cheeses, apples, sausage, pate, and more! We read, journaled, and chatted while we sat there enjoying the afternoon together. Then a few of us rented bikes (with front baskets!) to go explore this huge park! There were trails all over the place, some paved, some a little more primative. We road around somewhat aimlessly for awhile, which was a super nice change from the directiveness of Metro stations! We saw a lake and some ponds, and even a swan!
  • Last night as we were finishing supper my host dad handed me these two little pieces of metal that were intertwined...you know, one of those little puzzle things you have to pull apart? Well, it really made me laugh because this is totally something my own dad back home loves (right Dad?) and just because my host dad always makes me laugh no matter what. I couldn't get the first one apart; in fact I am still working on it. He gave me another one, this one looked a lot more complicated and I had it solved in about 2 minutes. I took it out to show it to him, then he ended up grabbing a whole box of these puzzles from the cupboard! Now I've got something other than my blogging, homework, and photos to distract me! (not to mention this gorgeous city!)
  • After our picnic and bike ride through the park, I ventured off to the Grand Palais to see an Andy Warhol exhibition! Which was really exciting, it was awesome to see all those works in person. Sometimes the sheer size (or lack thereof) is the part that surprises me the most! The only disappointment came from no photos being allowed (which is definitely understandable, but still disappointing to me!). If you ever have a chance to see this marvelous collection of pop art, I recommend it! It was totally worth 8 Euros and then a run in the pouring rain to the Metro stop afterwards! I also bought a book about the gallery show the other day (written in French of course) and have been reading it to learn more about Andy Warhol and to work on my comprehension skills!
  • 6 hours of class tomorrow...Oh I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment