Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rain Rain Go Away!

Flat Audrey and I trying to figure out the French keyboards at the school during our lunch break.
  • Our first week here was beautiful sunny days and now we've been stuck in a rainy rut for a long time! This photo is a view from mine and Karen's bedroom window from a few minutes ago. Sometimes the clouds will sputter a little while other times the heavens completely open up! (Such as yesterday while leaving the Grand Palais) Which is unfortunate, because we have barely over a week left here, and there is still so much of the city I want to explore! A few of us were going to go to Montmarte/Sacre-Couer tonight to view the city lights from up on a hill, but the current rain has definitely dampened those plans! Oh I am so cunning :) Maybe tomorrow night?
  • I guess other than the rain, there isn't a whole lot else to talk about considering we spent 6 hours today in class, and 8 hours total at the school. During our morning class, we focused on listening to and writing our own dialogues of conversations that could take place in shops. This includes vocab of clothing, sizes, numbers, comparisons, greetings, and so on.. We've been working really hard on pronunciation in our morning class; today we practiced a lot of different kinds of liaisons (basically slurring the ending of one word with the beginning of the next). In our afternoon class, we worked more on writing and giving directions in French and then watched a few short films ("un court-metrage" in French). Titled "Paris: Je t'aime," (Paris, I love you), these shorts films presented all sorts of different situations somewhere in the city which we watched and then discussed and filled out worksheets about them. They were quite humourous!
  • Tomorrow brings us a day of morning class, then a free afternoon, then an evening tour of The Louvre! During our free time, I hope to visit two different photo exhibits that I read about in a magazine that are currently on display and also grab some lunch. One of the exhibits is war photography from three different recent wars, which caught my eye after visiting Les Invalides the other day. The other exhibit is a photographer's work of capturing the city of Paris, minus any idea of tourists. This description really appealed to me because not long after we got here I realized that when I am taking photos of any of the monuments or places we go, I've challenged myself at times to get as few tourists in them as possible. I'm doing pretty good so far, but some things such as the mosh pit in The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles are somewhat inevitable. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to these two photo shows!
  • And looking forward some more, this weekend brings us a group excursion to Normandy!

No comments:

Post a Comment