Thursday, May 21, 2009

Au revoir Paris!

The group, all the students, Dr. Hagan, and Dr. Hagan's sister Kathryn!
A new ad in the Metro that I am particularily fond of
Escargot..I ate this?!
Cafe with friends after our last day of class!
  • Well, we are pretty much packed up, after two long but full last days in this beautiful city. We had our last day of class Wednesday morning and I really enjoyed it. Most of our time this day was spent discussing, which forced me to work on both my pronunciation and oral comprehension skills, two of which I've noticed have the most room for improvement! To celebrate the end of class, Corey, Andrew, Jenna, Jayna, and myself went to lunch at our favorite cafe on Montparnasse Avenue, right next to Galleries Layfatte and Tour Montparnasse. I had a croque poulet for lunch, which is basically a grilled chicken and cheese with cheese melted on the top. That afternoon we visited my most favorite museum so far, Musee D'Orsay, which hosts a large collection of Impressionist paintings. My eyes were wide all afternoon! VanGough, Cezanne, Monet, were some of the big names there..just to name a few! It was very impressive! That night, our group met at a restaurant near the site of the Bastille to have a group dinner together. The food was delicious! Though I unknowingly ate some foie gras, which is the liver of a goose or duck that has been force-fed to make it fatter. Mmm. I also tried escargot, which in case you didn't know is snails! I thought they tasted like seaweed! (coming from a true camp counselor!) A few of us ended the night off with a trip to see the twinkling Eiffel Tower one more time.
  • This morning, the group met at the Tuilries Garden, which is parallel to The Seine and leads to The Louvre, for our final presentations. It was a gorgeous morning in the park! Then we had the afternoon free to ourselves to finish up any last minute Paris things we wanted to fit in. I went on a shopping/sightseeing adventure all afternoon and rode the Metro more times today than I can count! On our way venturing to find a certain shop, we stumbled across a wonderful photo display which was very exciting! The weather was also very pleasant today. Though, my feet finally decided to let me know how they were feeling today, but I am thankful that at least it was the last day! After I had enough shopping down the Champs-Elysees, I came home to start packing and have one more meal with Karen and our host family. I am now mostly packed up, crossing my fingers that I won't go over the weight limit with all the new books I bought here! I am heading to bed now, we fly out before lunch tomorrow, plus we have to be to the airport 3 hours prior to our departure, so it will make for an early morning. I am not ready to leave Paris yet but am looking forward to being back in the Midwest! What a great adventerous month I've spent here in Paris! Look for another update in the coming days and I will hopefully find a way to share my pictures with you! Thank you for reading about my trip!

1 comment:

  1. Oh amanda,
    I've enjoyed reading about your blog, and I am glad that you had fun. I'm looking forward to seeing you this summer. Hopefully you can find some time to travel down here, and if not, I'm sure Leanna and I can find a way to come visit you!
    Hope to see you soon,
    ~Joshua Waters~

    ReplyDelete