Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Twinkling, deuxieme fois!

  • Translation: Twinkling, second time! Once again, we went to see the Eiffel Tower tonight and it was just as magnificent as the first time we saw it (only we were able to contain ourselves a little better!) We just sat on a bench and stared at it for awhile; we especially adore it when it twinkles! The little twinkling lights are like sprinkles on a cake, but better!
  • Today was our first "real" day of class (in addition to our museum and monument visits) and we were all a little nervous of the unexpected. Yesterday we took a placement test at the school in order for them to judge our French language comprehension. We had class from 9-12 this morning and from 2-5 this afternoon. Some of us were placed in the incorrect level of our current instruction and changed classes; it seems as though most students have their class figured out by now.
  • I am so excited to be learning more French! I love the language and wish I could understand more and express myself better using it. If you've ever heard someone speaking French, I think you might agree with me. Just from class today, I came back to my apartment and felt much more confident in trying to speak with my host family in French. I've decided that knowing a lot of the little things such as "ok" and "what is that?" and "I don't know" are very helpful and make even rocky conversations a little more understandable on both sides.
  • One thing I have realized of Paris is that with the exception of the Metro, I never truly feel as though I am indoors. Most windows completely open either towards or away from you, many of these windows are floor to ceiling or at the very least quite large, and most are lacking screens! Plus, the open air cafes are my favorite to sit at and enjoy the company of my friends. I also can never say no to a fresh crepe from a street vendor! Nutella et banane est mon favori!
  • Yesterday we had the chance to visit the Cluny Museum with Edith, our guide. We saw many original items from Notre Dame, including the heads of the statues of the Kings of Judah that were dismantled and buried in a garden for many years. We also saw several original pieces of stained glass from Saint Chapelle, which we visited two days ago. It was beautiful!
  • Tomorrow we have morning class again and in the afternoon we are visiting The Rodin Museum, which has impressive gardens that showcase many statues, including "The Thinker."
  • I've decided I don't want to leave Paris! I've adapted to the city life surprisingly well, coming from a high school class of 8! (at least I'd say) Riding the Metro is always interesting; the street performers are usually my favorite part - I've see people playing accordion, saxophone, and even a tuba while riding the Metro! I wonder what else this marvelous city has in store? We will see!

3 comments:

  1. Tuba on a Metro?? Can they play all of these at the same time? It sounds like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thinker?!? I'm jealous! Flat Audrey better get to see that lol and I'm really jealous that you got to hear someone playing a Tuba in the Metro lol Sounds like you are having an AMAZING time and getting to see lots of exciting things! Have fun!

    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMANDA!!! I DIDN"T EVEN KNOW YOU WERE STUDYING ABROAD OR I WOULD HAVE COME AND HUNG OUT WITH YOU ONE MORE TIME BEFORE YOU LEFT!!! DANG!!! I'm glad you're enjoying it though. Studying abroad is a huge goal for me in the next couple of years, but I'm studying Spanish, so unfortunately I won't get to see the Twinkles on the Tower lol.. But its definitely awesome that you saw a Tuba on the streets!!! THAT'S WHAT I PLAY!!! YAYAYAYAY!!!

    ReplyDelete